Monday, April 19, 2010

Oh, Those Evil Butts!

I was watching the local evening news tonight, and they did a story on sinus infections that seem to be linked to second hand smoke. That got me thinking, which can be a bad thing. Now I used to smoke, for 25 years actually, but I quit in 1982 for health issues. Not ones I had, but ones I wanted to prevent. I know smoking is not good for anyone, but it comes down to a matter of personal choice. If you want to smoke it's alright with me and to be perfectly honest, they still smell very good. Far be it from me to interfere with your right to smoke. I suppose you could convince me that people should not be exposed to second hand if they don't want to, but that being the case, this is where the huge hypocrisy comes in. The anti-smoking Nazis are pushing and pushing for more regulations on where people can smoke. They ban smoking in restaurants and bars, when the option should be left to the owners of those establishments. If a bar allows smoking and you don't want to be exposed to the smoke, nobody is forcing you to go into that establishment. Some states are pushing for legislation that would allow them to ban you from smoking in your own home. Excuse me?? Let's get to the bottom line. As with so many other things, the various governments want control over your life, so they tell you where you can and can't smoke, but if smoking is sooooo bad for you and the people exposed to second hand smoke, why don't they just ban smoking, sale of cigarettes and tobacco. The answer is simple. As with so many other things, follow the money. The governments can't afford to give up all that tax money that they get from the sale of tobacco products. They tell you where you can smoke, but in the same breath (no pun intended), tell you to please continue so we get the money. Typical government hypocrisy!

No comments:

Post a Comment