Thursday, October 6, 2011

BRS - Bureau of Rehabilitation Services

Want a classic example of what's wrong with Government?
        Ever since I was a teenager I have done a lot of hunting and shooting. I also had a job during the mid-70's, at the Uniroyal footwear plant, in Naugatuck, CT, running a Banbury. A Banbury is a machine that mixes batches of rubber at about 500 lbs. per batch. The machines are incredibly loud. I did all this without wearing hearing protection, because for most of that time it was not known that it could damage your hearing. Subsequently, I found out about 10 years ago that I needed hearing aids. I have been through a couple of sets and recently got new ones which cost $3200. The owner of the Hearing Aid business said I could go through BRS and have the government foot the bill for my hearing aids. I felt like she told me I could apply for welfare. Well, it turns out the program is for disabled people under the Americans with Disability Act. Hearing impaired is considered disabled. So I qualify for free hearing aids, paid for by the government.
      Jon, are you not making enough money? Nope, there is no income limit to being able to participate. The only stipulation is that the hearing aids be required for your job, and since I need them to hear "bees" buzzing, mice scratching, and bats fluttering, I qualified. Someone making $1 million a year can get their hearing aids paid for by the government.
      I have always fought against waste in the government. I don't want and I don't need the government providing for me.  I told them no thanks, I'll pay for them myself. If that's known as "putting your money where your mouth is", I'm guilty.

No comments:

Post a Comment