Friday, October 29, 2010

My Wife's Letter to the Editor of the Waterbury Republican


McMahon, Foley offer business background


       Tuesday, I will vote for Republicans Linda McMahon for U.S. Senate and Tom Foley for governor, not necessarily because they are Republicans or fiscal conservatives (whom I generally support), but because of their private-sector experience. It's not easy to run a successful business or work for one. I know because I do.           
       Think of the state as a publicly held company. The governor (CEO), the congressional delegation (board of directors) and the legislature (managers and supervisors, and labor resources), are responsible for one thing: returning a profit to the people (stockholders). Not to make citizens "happy." Not for personal gain at the expense of the state. Not to cater to special interests that may dilute the state's profitability. They work for, us, the taxpayers, who fund every decision they make.
        I believe the state government could learn a great deal from the private sector, which understands business plans, cash-flow metrics, efficiency and correct sizing to be successful. We have an opportunity to see this in action, and I believe we should take advantage of that opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment