Monday, December 7, 2009

Zhu Zhu pets - Oh, the horror!!!!!!

     Zhu Zhu pets, the little fake hamsters that are this Christmas season's hottest toys are DANGEROUS!!!! They really are. I just saw it on the news. It seems that they contain quantities of antimony (a heavy metal): 93ppm as compared to the government standard of 60 ppm. We're all going to die, aarrggggh!
     Seriously, this stuff is so ridiculous it would be hilarious if it wasn't so serious. The government sets standards for this type of stuff. We have standards for lead, antimony, mercury, and all sorts of other things.
     Let's take a walk back into the past. I'm about eight years old, It's 1950. It's Christmas morning, I get out of bed, and go out into the living room (This really did happen). Under the Christmas tree is a play gas station with about 5 or 6 cars and trucks, that Santa Claus has left me. The gas station and the cars and trucks are all metal and painted with bright colored paints. What do you think are the chances that those paints contained lead? Try 100%. I played with them and I'm sure that at some point, I put one or more in my mouth. Now as a result of all that lead poisoning I received from those toys, I went on to do very well in school, and got a Bachelor's Degree from UConn. Wow, I just realized, I might have turned out to be as smart as Albert Einstein, if only I hadn't put those toys in my mouth.
     The point I'm trying to make is that everything today is just so totally over the top. Most of us, unless we're really young, played with toys that were painted with paint containing lead, and we all turned out OK.There is no common sense any more about anything. Oh, and if you have any of those metals, please make sure you don't put them into the environment. Where the h--- did they come from to begin with?

No comments:

Post a Comment