Sunday, August 16, 2009

Immigrant Citizenship Test

My wife and I went out to dinner last night at a local restaurant. It was our first trip to "The Woodbury Diner". It actually is a very nice place with good food, although it doesn't serve adult beverages. I had on my "Dump Chris Dodd" T-shirt, and as we walked in the door a waitress who I would guess was late teens-early twenties saw the shirt and asked me "Who is Chris Dodd?". Now, here is a girl who is probably a product of our public school system. Who is Chris Dodd? I was floored!
Now that got me to thinking, which can be very dangerous. I thought of the immigrants to this country who came here legally (we'll leave the illegal ones for a future post). They have to be here a certain period of time, and then they can become U.S. citizens, but in order to do this they must first pass a Naturalization test about this country. I went up on the internet, found the test, printed it out, and took a look at it. I doubt if the girl in the restaurant could have gotten even one question right, and she either has or will be "voting" in future elections. How is she going to base her vote if she has no clue as to the working of our government? She'll vote based on sound bites, emotion, and promises that the government will give her everything she needs. She reminds me of the women at an Obama campaign rally in Florida last year who said, "I hope he gets elected because if he does I won't have to worry about paying my mortgage or putting gas in my car." What ???? She probably went to the same school as the waitress.
I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that in order to register to vote, American born citizens should have to get a passing grade on the same test the immigrants have to take to become citizens. Why does this country have to have totally clueless people voting????

No comments:

Post a Comment