Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Honey Bee Insurance

A few weeks ago , when the Porkapalusa "Stimulus"package was being put together and debated, it became known that it contained a provision providing for $150 million for Honey Bee insurance. A lot of the "talking heads" on TV had a field day with that item, as they should have, because this would have no stimulus effect at all. Well, the "Stimulus" bill passed as we all know.
Now being a beekeeper, I thought I would have a little fun with our elite elected officials in Washington. Last week, I called Senator Dodd & Leiberman's offices to find out how I could sign up for the insurance. I also called Congressman Chris Murphy's office. I hadn't heard anything, so I called them all back yesterday. Leiberman's staff person said they were still looking into it. I talked to a staff person in Dodd's office. She said she would look into it and call me right back. Congressman Murphy's office told me the same thing, Dodd's staff person called me back and told me that it was really Livestock Disaster insurance (that would cover honey bees) and that it had been pulled from the final bill and was not there.
I just received an email from Congressman Murphy's office telling me that it was in the bill and while they probably weren't taking applications just yet, I could get info at the Farm Service Agency office in Torrington, CT.
So it's not in the bill, but it is in the bill. Still believe those morons in Washington know what they are doing and are smarter than the average peon out here among us common folk.
Once again, you can't make this stuff up!!

No comments:

Post a Comment